Tuesday, January 23, 2007

graphic novels

The 2007 Printz Award for a YA novel was announced, and was "American Born Chinese," a graphic novel by Gene Luen Yang. I'm glad to see the recent successes of graphic novels; I also liked "Blankets," by Craig Thompson, a YA graphic novel I read last year. For some young readers the written novel will have a greater power for capturing imagination, but for others the graphic novel will retain a greater appeal. The graphic novels mentioned here had the story line and graphics developed by the same author. Being a (student) artist and writer myself, I'm intrigued by the combination. Last year I read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay: a novel," by Michael Chabon, which described a team of an artist and a writer who developed comic book stories of the Fifties. I think the graphic novel has been an interesting development, and I wish all the authors a continued success.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Fiction Writer's Blog by Gaelwriter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.